Curriculum Vitae Dr. Joanne T. Gjelsten, Chiropractor
Dr. Joanne T. Gjelsten Chiropractor
Teaching experience, three years at New York Chiropractic College.
Sixteen years experience treating patients with chiropractic care; ordering and reading Medical Imaging studies.
Health Columnist for monthly publication for eleven years.
Presentations to the public and colleges about Nutrition and Health.
Academic excellence at NYCC graduating cum laude.
EXPERIENCE 3 YEARS
NEW YORK CHIROPRACTIC COLLEGE initially as a Graduate Teaching Associate, then in Diagnosis Dept, Radiology
Lead in X-Ray Positioning Class. Used teaching methods to make positioning class learning efficient and practical for students.
Clinical assistance in various classes
Patient Assessment Methods I & II.
Diagnostic Imaging I, II, & III.
Review and Correlation (of Signs, Symptoms, & Examination).
· Spinal Radiographic Anatomy Lab & various Technique labs such as
· Soft Tissue & Reflex Techniques and Lower Extremity Labs.
Governance, College assistance and participation:
· Participation College governance and planning committees such as Faculty Senate meetings.
· Participant in Core Curriculum & Elective Track Identification Project.
· Assisted the Human Resources Dept. interviewing prospective students.
· Faculty Advisor to students, assisting the Dean of Chiropractic Education.
· Faculty Advisor for Applied Kinesiology Club.
· Positioning Class Review on own, requested personally by students, for Clinic Entrance exams, 3 semesters.
· Practical testing of students for mid-terms and finals in classes covered as clinical assistant, as well as Outcomes Assessment II for Physical Diagnosis and X-Ray Positioning.
· Examiner assistance for Clinic Entrance exams in Positioning and Physical Diagnosis.
“The ABC’S of Health and Nutrition” Rivertown Magazine, Nyack, N.Y. read by more than 60,000 people every month, for the last 11 years, and past author of a Health column in a local weekly newsletter, Geneva NY.
Doctorate in Chiropractic, New York Chiropractic College.
Achieved academic membership in Phi Chi Omega Society at New York Chiropractic College; graduated cum laude.
BS, University of The State Of New York, Excelsior College.
A.A.S. Radiologic Technology, Westchester Community College.
CLINICAL AND PRACTICE SKILLS
Sole Proprietor of following Chiropractic offices : Geneva Chiropractic, 1995 to 1998, and present practice since 1998 with offices in Nyack and Chestnut Ridge NY, responsible for all aspects of business and treating patients using Nutrition, Applied Kinesiology, Meridian Therapy, Chiropractic and patient education.
Radiologic Technologist: Westchester County/Cornell Medical Center, Valhalla, NY, a teaching hospital serving persons with various physical disabilities, a large geriatric population, incarcerated patients, and those who were mentally challenged as our patient base.
Clinical rotations through Phelps Memorial, Yonkers General, New Rochelle Hospital, and Westchester County Medical Center/Cornell Medical Center, gaining valuable practical hospital experience being exposed to patients with congenital and developmental difficulties in various settings.
D.C. New York
Webster Technique for Pregnant Women
Consultant to the Disability Etiquette Training Company, West Nyack NY.
Directed and participated in creating “Meet the Healers” local Cable Access TV program.
PRESENTATIONS MADE TO THE PUBLIC AND COLLEGES, PAST AND UPCOMING
Teaching philosophy: To enlighten the learner that being a student is both a short term and lifelong goal; that a lifelong student knows that through the act of learning, the knowledge we gain resonates to become the joy of who we are.
Upcoming Presentation: Guest lecturer for the Association of Educators of Radiologic Technology New York, April 15,2011, “Stress Management for Health Professionals”. Owego NY
Mystery Illness? Presented at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine Manhattan NY. (Included Differential Diagnosis and Nutritional Protocol) for interview.
· “Drug Induced Nutrient Depletion”, Suffern NY Library and Nyack NY Library. (Adapted from “Medication- Induced Nutrient Depletion”, the original work of Mary Baillett, DC, Nutrition Dept. NYCC, with her permission).
“Natural Alternatives to Hormone Replacement Therapy”, Nyack Open Space Center.
“Vitamins for Breast Cancer” Open Space Center, Nyack NY.
“Three Ways to reduce risk of Breast Cancer”, Women’s Health Symposium, Nyack, NY.
“Women’s Breast Health Presentation”, Nyack, NY.
“Health Seminar Nyack Women’s Wellness Evening” Nyack NY.
“Energy & Nutrition” Ramsey NJ Ski Club.
“Stress Reduction with Nutrition, Natural Hormones”, Suffern NY Library.
“Eye Nutrition”, Esplanade Assisted Living Center, Chestnut Ridge NY.
“Women’s Health, Hormonal Health”, Curves For Women, Orangeburg NY.
“Osteoporosis, Natural Hormones “, Nyack, NY Open Space Center.
“Protecting Yourself and a Loved One from Osteoporosis and Breast Cancer”, Open Space Center, Nyack.
“Differential Diagnosis of Hirsuitism”, Bridgeport College of Chiropractic, Bridgeport CT.